Under the falling snowflakes...

Today a brrring -20 degrees. Helsinki has really enjoyed an old fashion winter this year. About two weeks ago we had the most beautiful surroundings when we had fresh snow and breathtaking views all around Helsinki. At that time I fulfilled one of my all time dreams to walk on ice from the Hietalahti beach to Seurasaari. We actually walked from our appartment to my mom's place, a total of about 6 km!

As you have noticed, I haven't been that active concerning my blog. What can I say to justify that? Honestly I had no clue to how hard it would be to graduate on time, in February that is.

Seeing as I have been writing on my thesis for over a year now, I actually thought it would be finished in no time once I put myself to it and concentrated myself on writing. This wasn't completely true though. I must say that editing the same text and developing it for a year has been one of the most difficult challenges I've had. That's why my thesis is my pride, I can actually say that I have put all my blood, sweat and tears in that text. 133 pages of me. I think the text talks for itself. The thesis actually shows all my points of interests, it discusses Helsinki, Italy, tourism and marketing- some main points of me. In that sense the thesis could function even as a CV for me. Read the thesis if you want to know what I'm all about. The thesis can be read (in Swedish, with an English summary) on the website https://publications.theseus.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/6957/heinrichs_elisabeth.pdf?sequence=1. Enjoy! The thesis was the most significant part of me graduating and therefore I'm happy to declare that I got the grade excellent for it. So I guess you could say that it is a good justification for silencing my voice for a while.

Nevertheless, now that the thesis is done, accepted and graded, I can finally breath out again. My courses are all done, I have enough study points. So guess what? I'm actually graduating in February. February 19th to be exact. It seems that at that time my mom and some of my friends are out of town, so I won't officially celebrate it before the end of February but the graduation ceremony at my school will take place that day.

Since this huge change in my life has finally knocked on my door, it has forced me to seek a job and plan my future. At least think about it. The job situation in Finland is terrible right now, at least in my field. Just yesterday they said in the news that young people, in the age 18-25, are especially hit by this recession. The percentage of unemployed has risen with 40% since last year! I have contacted all the hotel chains in Helsinki and tried to find something for this spring, but it just seemed impossible. Therefore I stretched my way of thinking and applied also for jobs outside my field of study. Lucilly I found a job at a kindergarten so from next Monday I will help in taking care of 2-year-olds. I'm a stand in for a worker who is on mother leave I believe. I will stay there until the end of May at least. I'm happy about this. The worst thing would be to have to sit around at home doing nothing. I've always considered myself an active person and I would just hate having nothing to do. I need to keep myself active and of course I need the job also for financial reasons. At least this way my finance is secured for the spring. I've already been talking to the tourist office of Helsinki about returning there for the summer. Hopefully they will accept my application and let me work there for the third summer in a row.

So there it was, the update I've been wanting to do for some time now. I think I did pretty good. I'll write again tomorrow once I've visited my new job and spent some hours there. I guess you could call it an introduction. I'll fill you in on it tomorrow...

What's your opinion?

@elisabeth.rundlof