Passing through pages of stuff

Helsinki, 13 degrees

Recently I've started with a montly hobby. I like to take an afternoon just to read through my magazines that I get on a montly basis. Looking through them during the same day gives me an overview of current trends and topics. All of these Finnish magazines are mainly focused on fashion and trends, but as all women magazines they also include articles about travelling, food and interior design just to mention a few.



By giving them a collective glance, it's easy to see which one is my favorite among the magazines. It varies though, as the articles naturally vary as well.

Like I have mentioned earlier, Trendi has for a long time been my favorite Finnish fashion magazine. There is a simple reason for that - it has all. The articles are truly good and interesting! Lately though, I must say that their fashion and trend section has lost some of its edge, and therefore I am "forced" to also order at least Elle Finland, as it's according to me the best fashion magazine for women in Finland at the moment.

I've given Olivia a try, but unfortunately it can not compete with the other two magazines in my opinion. Maybe it is aimed at an older audience, probably that's the reason why it's not, not yet at least, among my favorites.

I won't order all of them for a long time, this has just been a test since I don't like the idea of getting stuck with one magazine without knowing what the competitors have to offer.


In Elle Finland's October issue they note colorful belts. I like the idea of brightining an otherwise dark outfit with a colorful belt. 


I found these three belts from the Finnish version of Ebay, Huuto.net at the bargain of 3,50€! Who could resist that? Of course they were used, but I actually belong to the people who like clothing items and accessories that already have a story before I get them. I don't think clothing and accessories are disposable.


I also like the spread about star patterns. Ever since Dolce & Gabbana had stars in their catwalk collection, they've been everywhere!

I guess it really goes like the character Miranda Priestly says in the movie "The devil wears Prada":
"This... stuff? Oh... ok. I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select out, oh I don't know, that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise, it's not lapis, it's actually cerulean. You're also blindly unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves St. Laurent, wasn't it, who showed cerulean military jackets? And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers. Then it filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic Casual Corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and so it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room. From a pile of stuff."

After all, everything has a connection. I am now desperately looking for a piece of clothing with stars on it, that I like I must add. Or maybe earrings, I must look into that and get back to you on that another time. 


Both Elle Finland and Olivia has the new ad of Escada in them. The ad is for the new fragrance called "Especially Escada". Elle Finland even has an article about the stunning model that is on everybody's lips right now: Israeli Bar Refaeli that is! She's just lovely if you ask me. I guess I now know what scent to ask for for Christmas this year!


Recently I've noticed at work as well that we have an increasing number of Israeli visitors in Helsinki! This summer I've talked with a record number of Israeli visitors. Actually today when I was helping two customers at work, I heard them talking to each other and I could guess that they were talking in hebrew. I guess I've heard it so much this summer that I am able to recognize it. It's a very interesting language, peculiar and definately one that catches your attention. I'm sure we'll see more of them at the tourist information office! It will be interesting to follow this new visitor group and its development. 



I like the fact that Olivia present glitter shoes again! I guess I have to take my golden glitter shoes to use again!



Color blocking is mentioned both by Olivia and Danish Vila on their Facebook page. I'll hunt for a similar outfit as well. Which of these trends strikes your eye?

What's your opinion?

@elisabeth.rundlof