Oil silo 468

Helsinki, 23 degrees


Light can be gentle, dangerous, dreamlike, bare, living, dead, misty, clear, hot, dark, violet, springlike, falling, straight, sensual, limited, poisonous, calm and soft.

Do you know the feeling when you discover a new magical place in your home city where you never been before but after seen it can't wait to go back to it? I experienced that exact feeling about a week ago when I visited Oil silo 468 in the Kruunuvuorenranta district of Helsinki. Curious about what it is?

You might think it's silly that a proud Helsinkian like me still has some disticts in Helsinki where I haven't been. Well, the reason for it is that some districts are only now being developed, mainly former harbor areas. The new development projects will create approximately 100 000 residences and tens of thousands of jobs, many of them in beautiful waterfront locations and close to the city center.

One district like this is the future district of Kruunuvuorenranta. Kruunuvuorenranta will be both a cosy residential area and an attractive recreational area for all Helsinki inhabitants. The construction period for this district is 2013 – 2020s, how exciting right?

When I read that it was possible to explore this district, I didn't hesitate but convinced two of my friends to join me and see an impressive piece of light artwork in this district! So we took the bus there and walked along a forest trail until we reached the cool light artwork! We weren't alone, there were tons of curious Helsinkians there. I thought these two girls in front of us dancing along the trail were just adorable, don't you think?


The area has six kilometres of shoreline, so no wonder it has a gorgeous view over the sea towards the symbol of the city - the Cathedral itself!


The light artwork we went to explore is called Oil silo 468 (Öljysäiliö 468 in Finnish). It's the first of the light artworks in Kruunuvuorenranta, which is now illuminated as a part of the lighting concept that will form the identity of the area.


What is it? One of the oil silos of the former oil harbor of Kruunuvuorenranta has been turned into a light artwork by light artist Tapio Rosenius of Lighting Design Collective. The artwork, Oil silo 468 (Öljysäiliö 468), was illuminated on 10 October 2012, to serve as a permanent waterfront landmark of Kruunuvuorenranta. Oil silo 468 is visible over the sea in Helsinki's inner city. The artwork is a reference to Kruunuvuorenranta’s history as an oil harbour.


The light artwork is a true urban beauty! To create the artwork, 2012 round openings were cut in the shell of the silo to celebrate World Design Capital Helsinki 2012. Mirrors were placed in the openings to sparkle in sunlight. The sparkling oil silo was just breathtaking! Since there was an echo inside the silo, the thrilling experience was totally new for me! Every little sound sounded big inside the silo and the silo walls looked like they were covered with thousands of diamonds!


As the day turns into night, LED lights inside the shell turn the silo into a large, ever-changing light artwork. In summertime, the sun sets quite late in Helsinki so we didn't manage to see the oil silo in its full glory. Just another reason to go back to this stunning place! I did find a video from the light artwork's opening ceremony though, and I wanted to share it with you so you get an understanding for how unique this place is!


Thanks to its beautiful seaside location, it was astonishing how you could see from it to the city center but also across to the Suomenlinna Sea Fortress Island!


This evening I wore a white on white summery outfit. The biker jacket I've presented before in an earlier blog post here is from Asos. I combined it with a white linen dress from Vila, a white second-hand cross body bag and second-hand sandals. The sandals remind me of a pair my grandmother used to wear.

Source

The oil silo is yet another treasure I found during my summer holiday! How do you feel about light artwork? Do you ever go to see some?


What's your opinion?

  1. I am so glad that you were able to go there! It looks like an absolutely beautiful place :)
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, what a beautiful sight to see! and like you I'm also crazy about discovering everything new in my country. especially when it has something to do with sea, innovative buildings and beautiful nature. and I can totally understand why this specific building amazes you.. I would love to go there as well if I had the chance :) oh and your outfit is so summery and fresh too. I always like it when people mix thrifted pieces with the non-thrifted ones.

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kivat kuvat ja hieno tyyli! valkoinen on minunkin yksi suosikkiväreistä pukeutumisessa. Kysyit suosikkipaikkoja niin Italiasta suosikkipaikkojani on Italian saaret, Verona ja Rooman rannikkoalueet

    ReplyDelete
  4. the building is so cool! :) lovely article!♥ I'm following you on bloglovin and I liked your facebook page with my personal profile (petra lorencová),you can follow me back if you'd like ;) kisses!♥

    www.lorietta.cz


    My Facebook page


    My Bloglovin profile

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for your lovely comment!!! ;)
    I follow you on GFC and Bloglovin!

    xoxo

    http://estilohedonico.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi sweety, isn't it so amazing that we can always discover new and interesting places where we live. Theres always something to experience. The light artwork is amazing! A superb set-up! Thanks for letting me know about the crayfish, it sounds so delicious! Thanks for your kind words, wish you well for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! This post is art and photogrphy! The modern space, the see, the boat, the light, are an incredible pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right, it is so unique! I love art and installations and design! I know your country is well known about design, and I'd love to visit this district! So nice that you discovered that! The two girls were really lovely! Your outfit is great, I love white! You look very beautiful! Thank you so much for your get well wishes! I am now much better and reading my favorite blogs again, and also posting "my" quotes! denisesplanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful that there are still so many places, especially places on the waterfront, still to be developed in Helsinki - being able to see and experience your city as it changes and grows will be a wonderful experience. And the Light Me Up installation looks amazing!
    xox,
    Cee
    www.cocoandvera.com

    ReplyDelete

@elisabeth.rundlof