Work trip: Milan, Italy

Helsinki, 11 degrees



Open my heart and you will see graved inside of it, "Italy".

I think one of the most important things in life is to learn how to celebrate success and personal growth. And those are exactly the emotions I felt when I visited Milan last week! I couldn't have had a better time, and I was met by such incredible Italian friendliness and generosity that it made this Helsinkiana (a term I've come up with while living in Italy) very humble.

Mielestäni yksi elämän tärkeimmistä asioista on oppia juhlistamaan menestystä ja henkilökohtaista kehitystä. Juuri näitä tunnetiloja kävin läpi viime viikolla Milanossa! Työmatkani ei olisi voinut sujua paremmin ja vastaanotin niin sanoinkuvailematonta italialaista ystävällisyyttä ja vieraanvaraisuutta, että tunsin itseni nöyräksi.

The reason for my business trip, the event Be Nordic, was a success! If you're interested in how the Nordic countries were promoted in Italy's fashion capital, have a look at the Tumblr website! The event's location was perfect, very close to Duomo, the cathedral of Milan. And my co-representative for Finland was no other than Santa Claus - straight from Finland!

Syy työmatkaani oli tapahtuma nimeltään Be Nordic, jossa pohjoismaita esiteltiin matkailukohteena italialaisille matkanjärjestäjille ja kuluttajille. Jos tapahtuma kiinnostaa enemmän, teidän kannattaa vilkaista tapahtuman Tumblr-sivua! Tapahtumapaikka sijaitsi lähellä Milanon tuomiokirkkoa, joten se ei olisi voinut olla parempi! Kanssani tapahtumassa oli Suomea edustamassa myös itse Joulupukki!


It was great to meet colleagues from the other Nordic countries, but also Italian tour operators that sell Helsinki as a travel destination. And I shouldn't forget the wonderful Finns that I met at the event! We had such great fun together!

Oli mukava tavata kollegoja muista pohjoismaista, ja myös italialaisia matkanjärjestäjiä jotka myyvät Helsinkiä matkailukohteena. Minun on kuitenkin pakko mainita myös muut suomalaiset, jonka kanssa minulla oli mielettömän hauskaa!


On Saturday it was time for one of the annual highlights - watching the Eurovision Song Contest! I'd never watched it in Italy, even though Finland actually won during one of the years I lived in Milan (but at that time the show wasn't on the Italian TV)! At Be Nordic the screening was excellent, we had a huge screen from which we could watch the splendid spectacle! It was fun to notice that the Nordic melancholic songs spoke to my heart, but the Italians watching preferred the songs with fast tempo. What was your favorite? Did the right song win? My personal favorites were Norway, Montenegro, Italy and UK. Having said this, I think that Austria had the best show, and the performer had a wonderful voice so they deserved the victory.

Lauantaina oli Euroviisujen aika! Kuten ehkä tiedätte, se on aina ollut minulle tärkeä tapahtuma ja olen sitä perheeni kanssa seurannut lapsesta saakka. Be Nordic tapahtumassa viisuja seurattiin isolta screeniltä. Oli hauska huomata, että tykkäsin ihan eri biiseistä kuin italialaiset - ainoa josta oltiin samaa mieltä oli Italian biisi! Se oli niin hyvä, hyvä Emma! Omat suosikkini olivat Norja, Montenegro, Italia ja Iso-Britannia. Mikä oli teidän suosikkibiisinne? Voittiko mielestänne paras biisi?


To sum it up, I proved once again to myself that I can manage to represent Helsinki at international events. It was wonderful to be back in Milan and notice that I still can speak understandable Italian and even though I'm nine years (!) older than when I first moved to Milan, I still love the city and remember my way around. It was nice to notice that I'm more self-assured now than I was as a girl. I can't wait to go back to Italy, my obsession number 1 right after Helsinki!

Loppujen lopuksi voin sanoa, että Milan matkan aikana todistin taas itselleni että pärjään Helsingin edustustehtävissä ulkomailla. Oli ihanaa olla takaisin Milanossa ja huomata, että pärjäsin vielä italian kielellä ja vaikka siitä oli jo yhdeksän vuotta kun muutin ensimmäisen kerran Milanoon, pidin vieläkin kovasti kaupungista ja muistin paikkoja. Olin tyytyväinen huomatessani, että olen nykyään itsevarmempi naisena kuin mitä olin aikaisemmin tyttönä. En malta odottaa, että pääsen käymään taas Italiassa. Maa on minulle rakkain paikka maailmassa heti Helsingin jälkeen.


What's your opinion?

  1. I am so glad that things are going well for you! And what a wonderful experience to be able to travel and meet new people. :D
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon, that is so kind of you!

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  2. We (sadly but obviously) don't get Eurovision in America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's strange, they get it even in Australia...

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  3. I watched Eurovision with my friends before my flight for work. It's always a big deal for my family to watch as well. Looks like you enjoyed yourself.
    /Madison
    http://fashiontalesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elisabeth, this sounds like a truly wonderful experience, so much to learn and gain from it! They don't screen the Eurovision here sadly. I would love to know of some contemporary Finnish artists that sing in English, I love discovering music from different countries. It was great hearing your thoughts, have a splendid week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, thanks dear Sam! I have to make a blog post about Finnish music then ;)

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  5. this year I watched Eurovision (or actually parts of it) in Crete but unfortunately fell asleep before the end. I'm not a fan of the winning song to be honest. for example the Finnish one was better in my opinion.. actually many were but as I said, that's what I think ;) oh and I studied Italian for awhile during university but unfortunately can't remember much of it. I think some day I will take out my study materials and see what they include and how much I can remember :)

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice! Not the falling asleep part but watching it in Crete. I liked the Estonian song! What happened? Do you like Tanja?

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post about your experience in Milan! Reading the title made me feel quite proud. It seems that the event has been a success, and I just think that this is what Milan and Italy in general need at the moment. I'll definitely take a look at the event's page.

    I watched Eurovision as well and my favourites were Switzerland, Montenegro, the Netherlands and Italy. If only Finland had sent Lordi again! Overall I appreciated a lot the show itself and the stunning scenographies. What do you think about Emma's dress? I loved it!

    Dato che sei tornata da poco dall'Italia, ti saluto in italiano: passa una bella serata e stammi bene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It was amazing! Haha, there is only one Lordi (fortunately). I loved Emma's dress, YES, it was so beautiful! I need to find one just like that! Grazie cara per il tuo saluto gentile!

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  7. OO you are so lucky. I never visited Milan :( It looks stunning!
    Beautiful dress by the way ^_^

    Love from Canada
    ♥anamascara.blogspot.ca♥

    ReplyDelete

@elisabeth.rundlof