Reflections from an expecting mama

Helsinki, 25 degrees

MAXI DRESS h&m EARRINGS lillan helsinki

Two things in the world you never regret: a swim in the ocean, the birth of a child.

It is said that pregnancy remains one of life's biggest adventures - a time filled with wonderment as well as new thought, feelings, and worries. While the people in your life may accompany you along the road to motherhood, in many ways pregnancy is a solitary journey. It's impossible for anyone - your partner, your friends, your family - to fully understand and appreciate what you're feeling and going through. The first kick, the first time your jeans won't zip up, and the first contraction are indescribable - these are all intensely personal experiences. As my pregnancy adventure is leading towards its end (it's only about two weeks left to my expected due date), many of you have been asking me to share some of the thoughts that I've had during my journey so far.

Sanotaan, että raskaus on yksi elämän isoimmista seikkailuista. Aika, joka on täynnä ihmetystä, uusia ajatuksia, tunteita ja huolia. Vaikka lähimmäisesi auttaa sinua matkan varrella, monella tapaa raskaus on yksinäinen matka. Näin, koska muiden on mahdotonta ymmärtää mitä tunnet ja käyt läpi. Ensimmäinen potku, se tunne kun farkut eivät menekään enää jalkaan, ensimmäiset harjoitussupistukset - kaikki nämä ovat hyvin henkilökohtaisia kokemuksia. Koska raskausseikkailuni on loppumassa (minulla on enää noin kaksi viikkoa jäljellä laskettuun aikaan), moni on pyytänyt että jakaisin hieman ajatuksiani ja kertoisin millaista on ollut olla raskaana.

I found 10 daily mom-to-be meditations that I thought I would share in this blog post. I have combined them with some of my findings from a great article on nesting. I hope the topics from these two sources, together with my personal reflections, may give you some insight to my pregnancy.

Löysin kaksi englanninkielistä hyvää artikkelia, jotka auttavat minua hieman kertomaan kokemuksistani. Toinen artikkeleista kertoo päivittäisistä raskausmeditaatioista ja toinen raskaana olevien naisien pesintä -tarpeesta.  

Friends - Ystävät

Among my friends, only a few have children. However, I have strived very hard to share my pregnancy without compromising my friendships. As many of you know, the situation at my work place is a little bit different as six babies are expected this year! Needless to say, I have received a lot of support during my pregnancy from my dear colleagues.

Ystävieni keskuudessa ainoastaan parilla kaverilla on jo lapsia. Olen kuitenkin yrittänyt jakaa raskausaikani ystävieni kanssa mahdollisimman hyvin. Kuten moni tietääkin, työpaikallani tilanne on hieman erilainen, koska tänä vuonna työorganisaatioomme syntyy peräti kuusi vauvaa! Näin ollen, olen saanut paljon tukea kollegoiltani. 

State of the world's mothers - Finland  - Suomi on maailman toiseksi paras maa olla äiti

The average age for women in Finland to have their first born child is 28,6 years - and as you know, I'm 30 (and was 29 years old when I got pregnant) so I feel that I'm following the trend very closely. According to Save the Children's 2015 Mothers’ Index Ranking, Finland is the second best country in the world to have children. The top 10 countries, in general, attain very high scores for mothers' and children's health, educational, economic and political status. I'm thinking about writing another blog post about the statistics of mothers in Finland.

Suomen ensisynnyttäjien keski-ikä nousi yhdellä kymmenyksellä 28,6 ikävuoteen vuonna 2013. Koska itse olin 29-vuotias kun tulin raskaaksi, koen, että olen hyvin keskivertoäiti mitä tulee ikään. Kansainvälisen Pelastakaa Lasten julkaisema State of the World's Mothers eli Maailman äitien tila – raportti tarkastelee äitien ja pienten lasten henkiinjäämiseen humanitaarisissa kriiseissä. Heikoin äitien asema on Saharan eteläpuolisessa Afrikassa, kun taas Suomi on nyt raportin mukaan maailman toiseksi paras maa olla äiti. Kirjoitan varmasti toisenkin blogikirjoituksen äitien asemasta Suomessa, koska aihe on niin kiinnostava.

Loss of control - Kontrollin menetys

"I feel invaded by an alien from another planet." -expectant mother

In the beginning of my pregnancy, I felt that my body was no longer my own. I remember hearing that if I'm missing some vitamins or mineral essentials of nutrition, I shouldn't worry, because they first go to the baby and then only to me.

Raskauden alussa mielestäni oli outoa, että kroppani ei enää ollutkaan minun. Muistan kuulleeni, että jos en saa tarpeeksi hivenaineita, niin siitä ei tarvitse huolestua, koska ne menevät muutenkin ensin vauvalle ja sitten vasta minulle.

"It's natural to feel both wonderstruck and resentful at the constant presence and never-ending demands of your unseen child. You eat something and provoke a riot. You try to sleep, only to be kicked again and again. If it seems as if you've lost control...well...you have. Surrendering to your baby's needs is one of the spiritual tasks of pregnancy. You learn to give up control and give yourself to something bigger and more compelling. Sometimes it's easy; sometimes it's a struggle. It's okay to feel resentful. You have lost a lot. But you've gained a lot more."

As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, once I started to feel the baby on a daily basis, I lost this feeling of resentfulness. It happened around week 20, when I was half way in my pregnancy. Suddenly, with the movements, it all felt more natural and my bond with the baby became much stronger.

Kuten mainitsin aikaisemmassa blogikirjoituksessani, niin kun aloin tuntemaan vauvan liikkeet, en enää kokenut asiaa niin oudoksi. Tämä tapahtui raskauden puolessavälissä, n. viikolla 20. Yhtäkkiä, kiitos liikkeiden, mielestäni oli täysin normaalia että vatsassasi kasvoi ihminen. Siitä lähtien suhteeni vauvaan on ollut voimakkaampi ja vahvempi.

Many have told me to enjoy my last weeks of "being by myself". I've replied to them that I haven't been by myself since September last year. Especially people who haven't had children yet, seem to not understand that the baby is in my mind constantly as I feel it, also, constantly. Just because it's not outside my belly yet doesn't mean that it doesn't affect me. Instead, it affects me all the time.

Moni tuttava ja kaveri on sanonut, että minun tulisi nauttia "omasta ajastani". Olen aina heille vastannut, että en suinkaan ole ollut yksin viime syyskuusta lähtien, vaan koen, että olen aina jonkun kanssa koska vauva on kanssani koko ajan. Varsinkin sellaiset ihmiset, joilla ei vielä ole lapsia, eivät tahdo ymmärtää miltä se tuntuu kun vauva on jatkuvasti mielessä. Vaikka vauva on vielä vatsassani, se vaikuttaa hyvin paljon olotilaani koko ajan.

The homestretch - Viimeinen rutistus

"A baby is considered to be ready to be born once it reaches 37 weeks or 3 weeks before the due date. Most babies born after 36 weeks are considered “safe” in that the majority will be able to breath without respiratory support, will be able to maintain their body temperature and will be able to eat and suck well."

As I've reached this point now, now in my week 38, it's a funny feeling to know that my baby might be born at any time. It's difficult to make any plans on what to do and most of my time I think about what's next. A great help has been to start to fill in our baby's baby book. I will introduce it in an upcoming blog post.

Koska olen raskauteni loppuvaiheessa, nyt viikolla 38, on hassua ajatella että vauva voisi syntyä ihan milloin vain. Koen, että on haastavaa, kun ei voi tehdä minkäänlaisia suunnitelmia tekemisille. Suurin osa ajasta menee siihen, että mietin tulevaa. Olen itse kokenut, että vauvakirjan täyttäminen on auttanut tässä asiassa. Tulen esittelemään vauvakirjaa tulevassa blogikirjoituksessa.

"If pregnancy were a book they would cut the last two chapters."

"The third trimester of pregnancy can drag on and on. It may seem as if you've been pregnant forever. You may find yourself counting the days to your due date, anxiously awaiting your first contraction. Who'd have thought you'd ever look forward to labor?"

"When your patience wears thin, envision meeting your baby 10 weeks from now - perfectly formed, healthy, and ready to live outside your womb."

This last thought has helped me a lot during my days of waiting. It's been funny to notice how only now the surrounding world seems to realize that I'm pregnant. Only now, I've received a seat on the bus from others. Only lately, I've heard comments from even grocery store workers - wishing me good luck with the baby. Small things like that matter, at least to me.

Tämä viimeinen ajatus on auttanut minua paljon näiden viimeisten viikkojen ajan. On ollut hauskaa huomata miten vasta nyt ympäröivä maailma on alkanut huomaamaan, että olen raskaana. Vasta viime viikolla sain ensimmäistä kertaa istumapaikan täpötäydessä bussissa toiselta kanssamatkustajalta. Vasta hiljattain olen saanut kuulla onnentoivotuksia jopa kaupan kassalta. Nämä pienet asiat ovat tärkeitä, ainakin minulle.

Safety at home - Kodin turvallisuus

"There is really nothing in the house that can effect the pregnant mother or unborn child.  If there are chemicals, paints or cleaning agents just keep them closed tight, but nothing has to be taken out of the house."

I'm a strong believer in keeping our home as much as possible as it was before the baby. Of course we have made changes and turned our office room into a nursery, but otherwise our home looks quite the same as it has for the last two-three years.

Uskon vahvasti siihen, että meidän kannattaa pitää kotimme mahdollisimman samanlaisena kuin mitä se oli ennen vauvan tuloa. Tietysti olemme muuttaneet työhuoneemme lastenhuoneeksi, mutta muuten kotimme näyttää hyvin samanlaiselta kuin miltä se näytti kaksi-kolme vuotta sitten.

Baby gadgets and clothes - Vauvan lelut ja vaatteet
 
"Most baby gadgets are safe and the newborn baby will not require much until it is mobile. However: cute comforters, pillows, stuffed animals, blankets should be kept out of the babies crib and bassinet because they can smother the baby."

Also here, I've strived to not get that much of gadgets before the baby is born. Only once the baby is with us, we will learn what he/she likes. I wouldn't like to lead the baby too much, but offer a variety of stories, toys and gadgets and then to see what are the things that our baby will like.

Myös tässä asiassa ajattelen, että on parempi jos emme hanki niin paljon tavaroita ennen vauvan syntymää. Kun vauva syntyy, opimme varmasti suhteellisen nopeasti mistä hän pitää. En pidä ajatuksesta, että johdattaisimme häntä liian paljon. Toivon, että voimme tarjota hänelle vaihtoehtoja ja hän sitten itse näyttää mistä hän pitää.

An emotional journey - Tunteikas matka

"Getting ready to nurture a child is a new path for you and your partner. Around week 38 or 39 you may experience increased adrenaline leading you to feel frantic and anxious about your soon-to-be-baby. Check in with your partner frequently and lean on one another for support."

It feels like we've never been closer with my fiancé. As the birth is approaching, we are both looking forward to the baby very much. Making plans together and discussing baby-related things with your loved one is truly the best thing there is!

Koen, ettemme koskaan ole olleet yhtä läheisiä sulhaseni kanssa kuin mitä olemme nyt. Kun synnytys lähestyy, on luontevaa puhua siitä ja odotamme molemmat sitä hyvin paljon. Yhdessä suunniteleminen ja keskustelu tulevasta on parasta oman kumppanin kanssa!

Settle down -  Rauhoittuminen

"Do what relaxes you most – a cup of tea, your favorite music, a walk in the park. The baby will appreciate that more than a sparkling clean kitchen sink."

As I'm a strong believer in the fact that right now my baby knows me better than anybody else, I like the thought of getting to know each other even before birth. That is why I'm striving to act as much as possible "as me", so that the baby will know what to expect once he/she arrives.

Uskon, että vauva tuntee minut tällä hetkellä parhaiten kaikista ihmisistä. Onhan se seurannut minua jo yli kahdeksan kuukautta! Pidän ajatuksesta, että joka päivä tutustumme toisiimme, jo ennen syntymää. Näin ollen, pyrin tekemään asioita, jotka edustavat mahdollisimman hyvin tavallista arkeani. Näin vauva tietää mitä odottaa kun hän syntyy.

The essentials - Asiat tärkeysjärjestykseen

"While cleaning and organizing can be an outlet for pent up energy and stress, don’t forget to give your body plenty of nutritional food and rest."

These last few weeks, food & rest have been high on my list of priorities. I would not have made it without naps!

Näiden viimeisten viikkojen ajan ruoka & lepo ovat olleet minulle elintärkeitä. En olisi pärjännyt ilman päiväunia!


Finally, I found this wonderful video on motherhood reflections. In the video you can see what mothers would tell themselves if they would be pregnant again.

Viimeisenä muttei vähäisimpänä halusin jakaa tämän videon, joka esittelee äitien neuvoja raskaana oleville.


What thoughts does pregnancy awaken in you? Do you have many babies in your life?

Mitä ajatuksia raskaus herättää sinussa? Kuuluuko tuttavapiiriisi paljon vauvoja?



What's your opinion?

  1. I don't have any babies, but it sounds like a wonderful yet a bit weird transition! Hope everything goes according to plan with the arrival and that you'll have a super healthy baby!

    xo
    http://www.carinavardie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, for sure wonderful but weird - and at the same time very natural! Thank you for your kind comment!

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  2. I wish you the best of luck in your pregnancy. I hope you and the baby are happy and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adam, that means a lot to me!

      xxx
      E

      Delete

@elisabeth.rundlof