Reflections on my daughter's first birthday

Helsinki, 19 degrees

 
Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.


Incredible, my girl is a toddler! As my daughter turned one almost three weeks ago, I thought I would in this blog post share seven reflections - casting back a thought to the past year. The beautiful flower bouquet that you see in this blog post is one of my gifts for her birthday. I still remember the amazing floral scent it brought to our home! A true sign of affection, if you ask me.

Uskomatonta, tyttäreni on taapero!
Koska tyttäreni täytti vuoden vajaa kolme viikkoa sitten, niin ajattelin tässä blogikirjoituksessa jakaa seitsemän pohdintaa tyttäreni vauvavuodesta. Kaunis kukkakimppu, joka näkyy tämän blogikirjoituksen kuvissa, oli yksi lahjoistani tyttärelleni. Mielestäni kimppu on erittäin kaunis, ja se täytti kodimme ihanalla kukkaistuoksulla eli oli selkeästi annettu hyvällä sydämellä.

Missing my parents / Ikävä vanhempia

Due to my parents' early & surprising passing within the past five years, I've been in a sense forced to reflect on my relation to them at this stage, as a fresh mother. When one becomes a mother, one suddenly needs one's parents again - in a new & different way. For support and to ask advice from. As my father never met my daughter, and my mother only knew her for four months, I've lacked the support one wishes for from one's parents when it comes to raising my daughter. However, as I've reflected on my own childhood, I feel that I have got answers to how my parents chose to raise me. Needless to say, I think it's only natural that the beginning of my motherhood was all about coping - from one day to another. Almost every day we meet elderly people that stop and talk to my daughter. Of course I find it cute, but at the same time it always makes me miss my parents as I never got to see them old. Bittersweet I guess.

Koska molemmat vanhempani menehtyivät aikaisin ja yllättäen viimeisten viiden vuoden aikana, olen tietyllä tavalla joutunut pohtimaan suhdettamme tässä elämänvaiheessa, tuoreena äitinä. Kun tulee äidiksi, niin rupeaa kaipaamaan omia vanhempia taas - uudella ja erilaisella tavalla. Neuvoja & tukea kaivaten. Isäni ei koskaan ehtinyt nähdä tytärtäni. Äitini ehti tuntea häntä alle viisi kuukautta. Näin ollen en saanut toivottua tukea vanhemmiltani koskien lasten saantia. Olen kuitenkin miettinyt omaa lapsuuttani paljon, ja sitä kautta ymmärtänyt paremmin vanhempieni tekemiä kasvatuspäätöksiä. On kuitenkin selvää, että alkutaipaleeni äitinä oli pelkkää pärjäämistä - päivä kerrallaan. Tapaamme tyttäreni kanssa melkein päivittäin ikäihmisiä, jotka juttelevat meille. Mielestäni on herttaista, että tuntemattomat haluavat tervehtiä tytärtäni, mutta samalla se lisää ikävää koska en koskaan saanut nähdä vanhempiani vanhoina. Katkeransuloista.

Something old mixed with something new / Jotain uutta, jotain vanhaa

Many people have told me that they think it's good that I've included my daughter into my life, and tried to keep on doing the same things I did before I had a child (like going to new places in town). However, we have also done lots of baby activities that were new to me. I felt many times sad as a child because my own mother told me that at some points in her life she lost herself, as she only focused on taking care of me and my sister. That is why I have strived to showcase my daughter who I am and what I like. I have wanted to nourish my own personality in hope that this will encourage my daughter to find her passions in life.

Moni on sanonut minulle, että heistä on hienoa että olen sisäistänyt tyttäreni elämääni, ja yrittänyt jatkaa tavallisten asioiden tekemistä (kuten uusissa paikoissa käymistä). Toki olemme myös tehneet minulle uusia asioita kuten käyneet vauvaharrastuksissa (vauvatanssissa, -runoilussa, -kinossa, -taidetuokioissa, -värikylvyissä, -viittomakielen kurssilla ym.) Tiedän itse, että olin lapsena usein surullinen kun äitini kertoi unohtaneensa itsensä kun hoiti minua ja siskoani. Tämän takia se on ollut tietoinen valinta myös tehdä asioita, joista minä pidän. Näin ajattelen, että tyttäreni oppii tuntemaan minua paremmin, ja jonain päivänä hän ehkä helpommin löytää omat mielenkiinnon kohteensa.

Enjoying parenthood / Vanhemmuudesta nauttiminen 

Only once my daughter turned six months, or actually during this year, the later part of her first year, I started to be able to enjoy parenthood. This was partly due the loss of my mother in last November, but also because it took some time to adapt to my new life situation. I now embrace the fact that every day is a so called school day, a day to learn something new as a parent. I love being a mother. I still think it's incredible that I'll be a mother for the rest of my life. Having a child is a true blessing, and I couldn't be more thankful. The past year has been my best year so far, and it has given me so much. I wouldn't change anything.

Vasta kun tyttäreni oli puolivuotias, niin huomasin, että aloin nauttimaan vanhemmuudesta. Näin ehkä koska menetin äitini viime marraskuussa, joten loppuvuosi oli hyvin raskas minulle. Ja minulle yksinkertaisesti kesti puoli vuotta ennen kun omaksuin uuden elämäntilanteen. Nyt osaan suhtautua jokaiseen päivään kuten koulupäivään: joka päivä opin uutta vanhempana. Äitinä oleminen on parasta maailmassa. Mielestäni on vieläkin huikeeta, että olen tyttäreni äiti lopun elämääni. Lapsen saaminen on suuri lahja, ja vieläkään en ihan käsitä mitä kaikkea se tarkoittaa. Kulunut vuosi on ollut elämäni paras ja antoisin. Mitään en muuttaisi ja mitään en tekisi toisin.

Continuous change / Jatkuva muutos 

Being a parent means learning to deal with continuous change. The only thing that is sure is change.

Vanhempana oleminen tarkoittaa jatkuvaan muutokseen tottumista. Ainoa varma asia on muutos.

Last chance decisions / Viime hetken päätöksiä

There is no use in stressing about things beforehand because once they arrive, you anyway need to make quick last chance decisions.

Olen huomannut, ettei asioita/muutoksia kannata etukäteen stressata koska kun kohtaat niitä, joudut kuitenkin tekemään nopeita viime hetken päätöksiä.

Future-oriented / Eteenpäin orientoitunut ote

Children have a positive effect - they force us to focus forward. Despite the fact that I'm a nostalgic person, I've noticed that thanks to my daughter, I'm naturally always looking forward to something - now the moment she'll walk & talk. There is always new things to experience with her, and even though I might see & do something I've done before, it feels different because it's with her.

Lapsilla on positiivinen vaikutus - ne pakottavat meitä keskittymään tulevaan. Vaikka olen nostalginen ihminen, niin olen huomannut (kiitos tyttäreni), että odotan jotain tulevaa kehitysvaihetta - tällä hetkellä sitä, että hän alkaisi puhumaan ja kävelemään. Aina on niin paljon uusia asioita koettavana hänen kanssaan, ja vaikka tekisin jotain, jota olen aikaisemmin tehnyt, niin se tuntuu erilaiselta hänen seurassaan.

Genuine love & happiness / Tosirakkauden ja -onnellisuuden tunne

I've heard friends say that they are not ready for children because they want to spend more time "alone" with their partner, that they aren't ready to divide their attention. These comments make me think that they have no idea how it feels to be with one's family: it's not that one has an x amount of love that one has to divide. When you're with your family members, it feels like your love expands, it doesn't decrease your love for your partner but increase your overall love for life. Of course the first year of a child is challenging for any relationship as at times there is little time alone as a couple, but fortunately we made it through all that. I've never experienced more genuine moments of love and happiness than the ones I have experienced in the company of both my fiancé and daughter. I can't express how grateful & thankful I feel in such moments.

Jotkut ystävistäni ovat sanoneet, etteivät vielä halua lapsia koska eivät vielä halua jakaa kumppaniaan lapsen kanssa. Etteivät ole vielä viettäneet tarpeeksi kahdenkeskeistä aikaa kumppaninsa kanssa. Nämä kommentit saavat minut kuitenkin ajattelemaan, etteivät tiedä miltä tuntuu viettää aikaa oman perheensä kanssa: minusta ei tunnu siltä, että minulla olisi x -määrä rakkautta antaa, jota minun nyt pitäisi jakaa. Kun vietän aikaa perheeni kanssa, niin tuntuu kun rakkaussaldoni kasvaisi. Se ei ole kahdenkeskeiseltä ajasta pois, vaan perhe on lisännyt rakkauden määrää elämässäni. Toki vauvavuosi oli rankka parisuhteelle, kun kahdenkeskeistä aikaa oli tietyissä vaiheissa hyvin vähän, mutta onneksi olemme sulhaseni kanssa nyt voiton puolella. En ole koskaan kokenut voimakkaampaa tosirakkauden ja -onnellisuuden tunnetta kuin kun olen ollut sekä sulhaseni että tyttäreni seurassa. En pysty sanoilla kuvailemaan miten kiitollinen olen noina hetkinä.


How often do you reflect and/or mirror your experiences and/or thoughts?

Miten usein sinä pohdit ja/tai peilaat kokemuksiasi ja/tai ajatuksiasi?


What's your opinion?

  1. I reflect a lot, for as long as I can remember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, I think it's important for one's wellbeing :)

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  2. it was a lovely post to read and I think it gave me some good thoughts about family and parenthood. we also can't wait to start showing the world to our child. we want to visit so many great places with her and teach her so much. I also think that one feels it when she or he is ready for children. before that realization you only want to be with your partner and do stuff together, without anybody else. you don't think about children then. at least that's how it was for us. I think I was 29 and married when I first thought about having children. I felt I was ready and sure about it. but before that turning point it was pretty much the last thing on my mind. of course there are completely different opinions about the topic which I also understand. people ARE different and it's only normal.

    Maiken - Part of me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind feedback Maiken :)

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  3. that was such a good read (it also made me reflect on myself). Wishing you and your family the best! 💕

    🌱http://only4feet9.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I'm happy to hear that it made you reflect on yourself :)

      xxx
      E

      Delete

@elisabeth.rundlof