LILLE

Helsinki, 12 degrees


Endless as the ocean, timeless as the tides.

Commercial collaboration: LILLE / Kaupallinen yhteistyö: LILLE

Sometimes when you meet somebody for the very first time, you instantly have a lot of things in common. It was kind of like that when I met the founder Kirsi Lille, who's behind the Finnish clothing label named LILLE. We met in one of Helsinki's most interesting industrial settings that lie close by to the so-called Wall Street district of Helsinki. The district is named Vallila, and it's located very close to where I live with my family, so I visit the district often, but nevertheless, its industrial building facades don't show on the outside its fascinating & creative buzz that occurs inside. The district hosts famous Finnish brands like Vallila Interior and Aarikka. I have interior pieces from both at home. I enter a steel gate that takes me into a community of creatives. I ask Kirsi how all the design actors, who work in these buildings, find each other and she mentions the co-working online service named Mushrooming. How intriguing, I think as it's new to me.

Joskus kun tapaa jonkun ensimmäistä kertaa, niin huomaa hänestä heti, että hänen kanssaan on paljon yhteistä. Juuri näin kävi, kun tapasin LILLE -vaatemerkin perustajan, Kirsi Lillen, ensimmäistä kertaa. Tapasimme Vallilassa, joka on yksi Helsingin kiinnostavimmista muotoilukeskittymistä. Asun perheeni kanssa lähellä kaupunginosaa, joten käyn siellä usein, mutta alueen teollisuusrakennukset eivät ulospäin paljasta mitä kaikkea kiinnostavaa rakennusten sisäpuolella tapahtuu. Suurin osa ehkä tietää, että Vallila Interior ja Aarikka sijaitsevat Vallilassa, mutta sieltä löytyy paljon muutakin mielenkiintoista. Astelen teräsportin läpi, ja huomaan olevani keskellä muotoiluyhteistöä. Kysyn Kirsiltä miten toimijat ovat toisensa löytäneet ja hän vinkkaa Mushrooming -palvelusta, joka on minulle uusi tuttavuus.

When I sit down at Kirsi's creative studio, I realize that Kirsi is, in fact, a person of communities. The things we have in common are actually all linked to communities: the local districts Munkkiniemi and Jollas, as well as Italy. I think that that is a fundamentally important thing to know about Helsinki - my beloved home city is a great nest of communities. With Kirsi, I also share the love for the sea (as I've mentioned several times before on the blog). She gives me her autumn / winter lookbook for 2016 / 2017, and it speaks to me immediately. You won't believe me when I say that it was shot in one of the places I've been lately fascinated by - as a potential wedding location for next year. When something like that happens, out of all the possibilities there are, it's almost scary as it speaks to you on such a personal level!

Kun istun alas ja juttelen Kirsin kanssa hänen suunnittelustudiolla, huomaan, että Kirsi on yhteisöllinen ihminen. Paikat, jotka yhdistävät meitä kahta, ovat vahvasti linkitettyä yhteisöihin: Munkkiniemi, Jollas, jopa Italia. Mielestäni on tärkeätä pitää mielessä, että Helsinki on yhteisönsä summa. Jaan Kirsin kanssa myös rakkauden merta kohti (tämän rakkauden on useasti maininnut aikaisemmin blogin puolella). Kun Kirsi antaa minulle viime syys-talvi lookbookinsa, niin jään melkein suu auki. Et varmastikaan usko, mutta tunnistin kuvauspaikan heti, koska olen viime aikoina miettinyt kyseistä paikkaa paljon - potentiaalisena hääpaikkana ensi vuodelle. Kun jotain vastaavaa tapahtuu, tällainen sattumien summa, niin se on jo melkein karmivaa koska se puhuttulee niin henkilökohtaisella tasolla!

The label is interesting also because of its story. LILLE is a Helsinki-based women's wear label that believes in meaningful and long-lasting design & everyday luxury. It holds on to simplicity and quality and is dedicated to designing and producing laid-back Nordic lifestyle garments you will not want to through away. In fact, the label's slogan is LILLE - yours, forever. Incredibly enough, I also share the label's source of inspiration: the nature of the Finnish archipelago. Should I continue? LILLE's  products are designed in Helsinki (mainly in the studio that I visited) and responsibly manufactured in Europe, mainly Estonia, using carefully selected European fabrics (mainly from Italy that has a huge personal meaning to me). LILLE's products can be bought online from LILLE's own webshop, or at local fashion & design shops Liike and/or TRE.

LILLE -vaatemerkki on kiinnostava myös tarinansa puolesta. Kyse on helsinkiläisestä naisvaatemerkistä, jonka mallistot saavat inspiraationsa suomalaisesta saaristosta. Saariston aitous ja ajattomuus inspiroi koska luonnon neutraalit sävyt ja aikojen saatossa muokkaantuneet maiseman muodot hämmästyttävät kauneudellaan yhä uudelleen ja uudelleen. LILLE uskoo merkitykselliseen ja kestävään suunnitteluun, ja pitää kiinni selkeälinjaisuudesta ja laadusta. Yritys pyrkii yksi vaate kerrallaan kohti kestävämpää maailmaa. LILLE suunnitellaan intohimolla Helsingissä, valmistetaan huolella Euroopassa (eniten Virossa) laadukkaista eurooppalaisista materiaaleista (pääsääntöisesti italialaisista tekstiileistä). Kirsi on omistautunut suunnittelemaan ja tuottamaan vaatteita, joita ei haluta heittää pois. LILLEn tuotteita voi ostaa vaatemerkin omasta nettikaupasta, tai design- ja muotiliikkeistä, esimerkkinä Liike & TRE.

When I went through the garments at LILLE's studio, I could have chosen as good as all the pieces for myself, as I liked them all. However, when I heard that I could pick out one piece to showcase on the blog, I didn't hesitate. The midnight blue Elvi dress spoke to me in some way. I can't describe it, but when I tried it on, I didn't feel like changing back to the clothes I came in. The dress just felt so good on me - a true cornerstone for every girl's wardrobe (I must say that the label's culottes and overalls also made a big impact on me so I will be sure to keep an eye on those in the future)! I could straight away notice that the fabric was of high quality. Its boat neckline reminded me of the sea, as well as the dress' blue color. The dress is easy to wear casually with sneakers and/or leggings or create a more elegant look with heels or ballerinas/flats. In these autumnal photos, I took the Elvi dress to my safe haven, my childhood district of Munkkiniemi that is - a district where both me & the founder of LILLE have lived.

Kun kävin läpi LILLEn vaatekappaleita studiolla, niin minuun iski valinnan vaikeus. Pidin nimittäin kaikista vaatteista. Kun kuulin, että sain valita itselleni yhden vaatekappaleen, tiesin kuitenkin heti minkä valitsisin. Yönsininen Elvi -mekko puhutteli minua. En osaa sitä selittää paremmin, kuin kertomalla etten halunnut enää sovituksen jälkeen ottaa mekkoa pois päältä. Se oli niin mukava päällä - jokaisen naisen turvamekko (mieleeni jäivät myös vaatemerkin culotte -housut ja haalarit, niitä aion siis tulevaisuudessa pitää silmällä)! Huomasin heti, että materiaali oli korkeatasoinen. Venemallinen pääntie muistutti minua merestä, kuten sininen värikin. Mekosta tulee helposti rento, jos sen pukee tennareiden tai leggingsien kanssa. Hienostuneen ilmeen saa koroilla tai ballerinoilla. Nämä syksyiset kuvat minusta Elvi -mekossa ovat otettu turvapaikassani, eli lapsuuskaupunginosassani Munkkiniemessä, jossa sekä minä että LILLE -vaatemerkin perustaja olemme asuneet.

dress LILLE cardigan H&M hat & flats ASOS




What autumn / winter purchases do you have in mind? Do you have a so called fail-safe outfit you return to from time to time?

Mitä syys- ja/tai talvihankintoja olet miettinyt? Onko sinulla luottoasua, johon palaat säännöllisin välein? 

 

What's your opinion?

  1. I rarely ever buy seasonal clothes besides a new jacket/shorts when I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are really fantastic! You look fabulous! At first I thought you were in Lille, but I now see it's a company, and the surname of the founder. How cool is that neighborhood, Vallila? I loved too, that you could pick every piece at the showroom. It's so nice when we identify ourselves with a brand! And cool that the cpmpany takes inspiration in Helsinki archipelago! Hope you have a nice day!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Denise! The pictures are from my childhood district of Munkkiniemi.

      xxx
      E

      Delete

@elisabeth.rundlof