The perfect Nordic white walk-in closet

Helsinki, 20 degrees


I like my money right where I can see it, hanging in my closet.

As for many women, a walk-in closet has been a life-long daydream for me. However, up 'til recently, I actually never believed that I would have one. When we moved into this home almost six years ago already, I accepted the closets it offered. I was given the closets that already existed in our bedroom, and my fiancé got new closets that went into our study - nowadays my toddler girl's nursery. In fact, in the nursery, one complete wall is covered with closets so both my daughter and fiancé have plenty of space for their clothes. The closets that were in our bedroom when we moved in, well, how could I say it in a nice way - they were originals from the 70's and very unpractical.

Kuten monet naiset, niin myös minä olen unelmoinut vaatehuoneesta. Vasta hiljattain kuulin, että olin sellaisen saamassa. Jotenkin ennen sitä en koskaan ajatellut, että minä saisin sellaisen. Se oli haaveissa, mutta jotenkin todella kaukainen ajatus itseäni ajatellen. Kun muutimme tähän asuntoon melkein kuusi vuotta sitten, niin sovimme, että minä saan makuuhuoneemme vaatekaapit. Sulhaseni sai uudet vaatekaapit, jotka sijoitettiin silloiseen työhuoneeseen, nykyiseen lastenhuoneeseen. Kyseisestä huoneesta löytyy kokonaisen seinän pituinen vaatekaappikokonaisuus, joten siellä on runsaasti tilaa niin sulhaseni kuin tyttäreni vaatteille. Makuuhuoneen vaatekaapit olivat, hmm, miten sen sanoisi nätisti - alkuperäisiä 70-luvulta ja hyvin epäkäytännöllisiä.

When my fiancé told me this year in March that I would receive a walk-in closet for my birthday, I wasn't able to believe him because the thought felt to distant. It was just one of those things that I thought were wonderful, but that I wouldn't have myself. Now that I've seen the work that went into building this space for me, I have to say that in fact, it did demand quite a lot of work. Mostly because when we took down the old closets, we realized that there wasn't any flooring under them - but concrete (the foundation of our entire apartment) so we had to start by actually building the closet from the beginning - even the floor. So I can say that the time estimation for the work was completely wrong in the start. We thought it would take a couple of weeks, but it took a couple of months.

Kun sulhaseni kertoi minulle syntymäpäivänäni maaliskuussa, että saan lahjaksi vaatehuoneen, niin en voinut uskoa korviani. Vieläkin silloin ajatus tuntui mahdottomalta. Nyt kun olen nähnyt miten paljon työtä vaatehuone vaati, niin voin sanoa, ettei tehtävä ollut helppo. Suurin syy työmäärään oli se, että kun purimme vanhat vaatekaapit pois, niin huomasimme, että entisten vaatekaappien alta ei edes löytynyt lattiaa, vaan törmäsimme betoniin eli asuntomme perusrakenteisiin. Näin ollen saimme ensityöksi tehdä lattian vaatehuoneeseen. Näin ollen työ ei kestänytkään kaksi viikkoa, vaan kaksi kuukautta.

Now, when the walk-in closet is in theory ready (I guess a project like this is never really ready because one continiously wants to make small changes), I'm in awe every single day when I enter it. It makes my life so much easier now that I finally see my clothes!

Nyt kun vaatehuone on teoriassa valmis (ainahan sitä tulee huoneeseen tekemään muutoksia joten ikuisuusprojektihan tämä on), niin ihmettelen sitä edelleen joka päivä kun astun huoneeseen. Se helpottaa niin paljon elämää kun näkee omat vaatteet!

I have to say that this walk-in closet is a space in our home that looks exactly like me: it's based on minimalistic colors: black, white and silver, but it does have a lot of other colors inside of it. The biggest inspiration for me when planning this walk-in closet was Norwegian Nina Holst and her blog post on Stylizimo from 2014. As you can see, I've used the same drawers dressers (Malm) as she has. Also the white boxes were from Swedish Ikea. The perfect hangers were found at Finnish Design Shop and they are Danish Hay's. The most visible Finnish design items in the closet are LukLabel's iron mesh moodboard & Iittala's Vitriini glass boxes. I'm not a big fan of high fashion, but I do support Nordic design. I dream about one day having a piece of the Italian brand Prada, but mostly because I like to support Italy as well - so for me it would be more of a statement than a status symbol. At the moment, one of my most precious item for Italy is my black sun hat that I bought in Tuscany when I was on study exchange in Italy. It didn't cost much, but I love it and it reminds me of how I felt during that period of time in my life. Having said this, my engagement ring is of Italian Bulgari.

Mielestäni vaatehuone kuvastaa minua hyvin: se on minimalistinen (perustuu kolmeen pääväriin: musta, valkoinen ja hopea), mutta se sisältää paljon erilaisia värejä. Suurin inspiraatiolähteeni oli norjalainen Nina Holistin pitämä Stylizimo -blogi ja sen kirjoitus vuodelta 2014. Kuten huomaat, niin olen käyttänyt samoja laatikostoja (Ikean Malm) kuin Nina. Valkoiset laatikot ovat myös Ikeasta. Täydelliset henkarit löysin Finnish Design Shopin kautta tanskalaiselta Haylta. Näyttävimmät kotimaiset designesineet vaatehuoneessa ovat Luklabelin rautakehikko ja Iittalan Vitriini -rasiat. En ole merkkituotteiden fani, mutta haluan tukea pohjoismaisia designyrityksiä. Toivon, että jonain päivänä voin omistaa jotain Prada-tuotetta, mutta suurin syy siihen on se, että se olisi tapani tukea italialaista muotiteollisuutta. Näin ollen se olisi enemmän kannanotto kuin statussymbooli. Tällä hetkellä kallisarvoisin esineeni Italiasta on musta lierihattu, jonka ostin Toscanasta kun olin opiskeluvaihdossa Italiassa. Se ei maksanut paljon, mutta rakastan sitä, ehkä koska se muistuttaa minua siitä tunteesta mitä minulla oli kyseisen elämänjakson aikana. Pakko kuitenkin mainita, että kihlasormukseni on italialaisen Bulgarin käsialaa.

What I think sets this walk-in closet apart from others, is that it's filled with details of me - images from Italy & Italian brands instead of the more common French ones. Also, books about Helsinki and Audrey Hepburn, Moomins & Tove Jansson are visible. Something that's different are the old suitcases in the closet, which actually belonged to my parents. I've kept memories of my parents in them, and it's actually one of my girl's favorite things to do - to go through them and learn more about her grandparents. I guess that is the nostalgia corner of the closet. Some pieces in the closet are from my travels, so they remind me of places that have had an effect on me.

Mikä mielestäni erottaa tämän vaatehuoneen muista, on juuri se, että se on täynnä yksityiskohtia, jotka kertovat juuri minusta - kuvia ja kirjoja Italiasta ja italialaisista merkeistä (ranskalaiset ovat tavallisempia olen huomannut). Vaatehuoneesta löytyy myös Helsinki-, Audrey Hepburn-, Muumi- ja Tove Jansson -aiheisia kirjoja. Vanhat matkalaukut tuovat myös mielestäni luonnetta huoneeseen. Ne ovat vanhempani perintöesineitä ja olen täyttänyt ne muistoesineillä. Tyttäreni tykkää kovasti niitä käydä läpi kanssani ja kuulla tarinoita isovanhemmistaan. Ehkä kyseinen kulmaus on siis vaatehuoneen nostalgianurkka. Laatikostojen päältä löytyy myös joitakin itselleni tärkeitä matkamuistoja.


What do you think makes the perfect walk-in closet? Do you have one or have you planned of some day making one?

Mikä sinun mielestäsi tekee täydellisen vaatehuoneen? Onko sinulla sellainen vai suunnitteletko sellaisen tekemistä?

 

What's your opinion?

  1. We have a small one but I rarely use it, my wife has 95% of the space in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that sounds right! However, my fiancé has as much clothes as I do so that would never work for us! :)

      xxx
      E

      Delete

@elisabeth.rundlof