4+6+6 reasons to love Helsinki, part 1

Helsinki, 18 degrees


Cities were always like people, showing their varying personalities to the traveler. Depending on the city and on the traveler, there might begin a mutual love, or dislike, friendship, or enmity. Where one city will rise a certain individual to glory, it will destroy another who is not suited to its personality. Only through travel can we know where we belong or not, where we are loved and where we are rejected.

Today my beloved home city turns a stunning 466 years! To celebrate Helsinki Day, Helsinki's birthday that is, here follows 4 + 6 + 6 = 16 of my most popular Helsinki blog posts!

Tänään rakas kotikaupunkini Helsinki täyttää huikeat 466 vuotta! Helsingin syntymäpäivän, Helsinki -päivän, kunniaksi, jaan blogissa 4 + 6 + 6 = 16 suosituinta Helsinki -aiheista blogikirjoitustani!


Helsinki by Seven Inch Skateboards poster

"I'm sure you are familiar with the city map posters that have been popular on interior blogs for some time now. If not, you can get a glimpse of what I'm talking about here. The posters have been driving me crazy because I haven't been able to find one of my beloved Helsinki, and honestly - I wouldn't want to have any other city map poster in my home. That is how much and deeply I love my home city! Just before Christmas, I was blown away when I entered one of my best friends' new apartment and saw that she had just that kind of a poster hanging on her wall. I asked her about it, and she had, of course, received it as a present. So no luck there. Later that same week, though, another of my best friends told me that she had seen another one around, and after some research - I found it at local lifestyle store Cilla's."


"Olet varmasti törmännyt tämänhetkiseen kaupunkikarttajulistetrendiin, joka on useaan otteeseen ollut esillä erilaisissa sisustusblogeissa. Jos et, niin pääset tutustumaan trendiin mm. täältä. Nämä kyseiset kaupunkikarttajulisteet ovat olleet pitkään mielessäni ja ovatkin melkein ajaneet minut hulluuden partaalle koska en ole onnistunut löytämään Helsinki -aiheista kaupunkikarttajulistetta mistään ja rehellisesti sanottuna - en itse haluaisi seinälleni mitään muuta kaupunkia kuin Helsinkiä! Niin rakas kotikaupunkini on minulle! Juuri ennen joulua yllätyin kun törmäsin kaverini luona Helsinki -julisteeseen. Kun kysyin mistä se oli, sain vastaukseksi että se oli lahja. No niinpä tietysti. Heti samalla viikolla sain kuitenkin kuulla toiselta kaverilta, että näitä Helsinki-kaupunkikarttajulisteita ovat saatavilla Cilla's -nimisestä lifestyle -kaupasta."


Stories of Finnish Art: 5 personal favorites 

"To continue on my previous blog post, I thought I would share my personal favorites among the artists whose paintings and art works are on display right now at Ateneum - the Finnish National Gallery and its Stories of Finnish Art exhibition."

"Jatkaakseni edellistä blogikirjoitustani, halusin esitellä tässä kirjoituksessa viisi suosikkitaitelijaani Ateneumin uudessa Suomen taiteen tarina -näyttelyssä."


7 + 2 Habitare favorites

"This weekend I visited Finland’s biggest furniture, interior, home decor and design fair - Habitare - that showcases interior design solutions for homes and public spaces from furniture and materials to unique design items. The fair presents the best expertise and products of Finnish interior decoration, furniture and design. Here follows my favorites from this year's fair." 

"Tänä viikonloppuna kävin Habitare -messuilla tutustumassa kotimaiseen designiin ja sisustukseen, sekä huonekaluihin että valaisimiin. Tässä blogikirjoituksessa esittelen suosikkini messuilta."


10 reasons to visit the new Helsinki City Museum, part 1

"On the last day of work before my maternity leave, the Helsinki City Museum celebrated its opening party! Not a bad way to start the first break that I've had from work (work for the City of Helsinki I might add) in eight years! The renewed museum strives to be an overall experience combining milieus, exhibitions and indoor decorations telling about the daily life of Helsinki. The thorough renovation has turned five old buildings + a modern museum extension built between them into a unique museum complex. I've visited the museum now already three times, during one single week, which actually tells about its best features - its low threshold & hospitality. Here are ten reasons why I think you should visit the museum."

"Sattuipa niin, että viimeinen työpäiväni ennen äitiyslomaa, oli sama kun Helsingin kaupunginmuseon avajaiset! Ei huono tapa aloittaa ensimmäistä taukoa työelämästä kahdeksaan vuoteen! Varsinkin kun olen tehnyt työtä kaupungille kaikki nämä vuodet. Uudistettu museo on kokonaiselämys, jossa niin miljöö, näyttelyt kuin sisustuskin kertovat helsinkiläisestä arjesta. Viidestä vanhasta rakennuksesta ja niiden keskelle rakennetusta modernista uudisosasta on perusteellisen remontin myötä syntynyt omaleimainen museokokonaisuus. Olen jo ehtinyt vierailemaan museossa kolmesti - yhden viikon aikana! Se, jos jotain kertoo museon parhaimmista piirteistä - kyse on matalan kynnyksen paikasta, joka huokuu vieraanvaraisuutta! Tässä kymmenen syytä miksi myös sinun kannattaa vierailla museossa." 


10 reasons why I love Helsinki trams 

"As long as I can remember, I've lived along the tram line of Helsinki. We moved to the district of Munkkiniemi when I was only four years old, so I guess it's no wonder that I don't remember much about the time before that. Ever since, one of my favorite characteristics of Helsinki, are its trams."

"Niin kauan kun muistan, niin olen Helsingissä asunut ratikkalinjan vieressä. Muutimme Munkkiniemeen (Munkkaan) kun olin 4 -vuotias, joten on aika luonnollista etten muista paljon elämästä sitä ennen. Siitä lähtien, yksi Helsingin suosikkiominaisuuksista, ovat olleet sen raitiovaunut eli ratikat." 


Fleuriste

"As Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and we're celebrating one of the most delicious pastry filled seasons in Helsinki with both Runeberg tortes and Shrovetide buns, I thought it would be nice to introduce a local café named Fleuriste. I recommend the café for coffee & cake among friends, but it's also a perfect place for a romantic date! I actually went there for a photoshoot for Finnish airline company Finnair's in-flight magazine Blue Wings before Christmas, and I wanted to share the result of that morning of shooting with you in this blog post. In the end, the photos didn't make into the magazine because of their setting (it didn't showcase Helsinki enough and the photos were too big for the article itself), but you can find my complete interview on page 44. The interview introduced my main work project of this year: the #HelsinkiSecret Residence, which is meant for international social influencers. I'll fill you in on that project in a later blog post. The beautiful photos were taken by the talented Laura Iisalo."

"Koska ystävänpäivä lähestyy kovaa vauhtia, ja tällä hetkellä saamme nauttia leivonnaisrikkaasta kaudesta kun sekä Runebergintorttuja ja laskiaispullia on tarjolla Helsingin kahviloissa, ajattelin että olisi hyvä hetki jakaa kahvilavinkki! Fleuriste on ranskalaisvaikutteinen kaunis kahvila Design District Helsingissä, joka viehättää niin kaveriporukoita kuin pariskuntiakin ihanalla tarjonallaan! Itse kävin ennen joulua kahvilassa Finniarin Blue Wings -lehden kuvauksissa, ja tässä kirjoituksessa näet tuloksen! Loppujen lopuksi, näitä kuvia ei valittu itse lehteen koska toimituksen mukaan kuvat eivät tuonneet tarpeeksi Helsinkiä esiin ja kuvat olivat liian isoja itse artikkeliin. Pääset kuitenkin lukemaan artikkelin sivulla 44. Haastattelu käsitteli #HelsinkiSecret Residenceä, joka on tänä vuonna suurin työprojektini. Kuvat ottivat lahjakas kuvaaja Laura Iisalo."


Illustration inspiration: Color Your Helsinki 

"As I have mentioned to you earlier, I'm a strong believer in illustrations, and lately I've also been fascinated by coloring books, so guess how thrilled I was when I stumbled upon Mervi Männikkö's & Anne Laios' beautiful coloring book of Helsinki named Color Your Helsinki some time ago? I immediately contacted them and asked them if I could introduce their work on my blog as I am such a fan of the book, and they happily agreed so here I am doing it."

"Kuten olen jo aikaisemmin kertonut blogissa, kannatan vahvasti kuvitusta. Sen lisäksi olen viime aikoina ihastunut värityskirjoihin. Arvaa miten innoissani olin vähän aikaa sitten kun löysin Mervi Männikön ja Anne Laiosin upean Helsinki -värityskirjan nimeltään Color Your Helsinki? Otin heti yhteyttä heihin ja kysyin jos saisin kertoa heidän työstään blogissani. Onneksi he vastasivat myöntävästi ja tässä olen heistä kirjoittamassa."


Lillan Helsinki

"What a weekend! I've been busy with my senior high school class reunion (can you believe it's been 10 years already since I graduated from senior high school?), my Cleaning Day flea market and hosting international bloggers. In Finland, we say that summertime starts when we have more than 10 degrees also during nighttime, so we are on the threshold of summer! Summertime is filled with lovely celebrations (parties, graduations, and weddings), and therefore I'm thrilled over my recent collaboration with the interesting Finnish jewelry label called Lillan Helsinki. Lillan in Swedish for small and this is brand is a true gem so the name is quite appropriate."

"Mikä viikonloppu takana! Lukioluokkakokous (voitko kuvitella että pääsin ylioppilaaksi jo 10 vuotta sitten?), Siivouspäivä ja kansainvälisten bloggareiden emännöinti piti minut kiireisenä viikonlopun aikana. Tänään varsinkin huomasi Helsingissä, että kesäkausi on lähtenyt käytiin kun aurinko loisti ja keskusta oli täynnä ihmisvilinää. Kesän alku tarkoittaa myös, että juhlat (mm. syntymäpäivät, valmistujaiset, häät) lisääntyvät. Olen taannoin tehnyt tämän tiimoilta yhteistyötä kotimaisen korumerkin kanssa nimeltään Lillan Helsinki. Näin ollen ajattelin tässä blogikirjoituksessa jakaa alkukesän tunnelmiani ja esitellä Lillan Helsingin koruja."




What has been your favorite Helsinki related blog post on my blog?

Mikä on suosikkisi Helsinki -aiheisten blogikirjoitusteni keskuudessa?


What's your opinion?

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the blog post! :)

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  2. I do remember most of those posts from you but it's difficult to pick only one favourite... I remember I really liked the ones about Helsinki posters and colouring books. but also your post about Fleuriste because of the lovely photography. and one more thing - congratulations, dear Elisabeth, to you and your other half! I saw the news through FB ;)

    Maiken - Part of me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maiken for the congratulation, we are obviously thrilled over our new family member. Thank you for your feedback, great to hear which blog posts have been your personal favorites.

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  3. Apua, miten en oo törmännyt noihin julisteisiin! Ihania! <3

    ReplyDelete

@elisabeth.rundlof