The Midsummer room at Helsinki's Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti

Helsinki, 16 degrees


Welcome to the luminous mood of Midsummer. To the magic of nightless nights, to the warmth of the sauna and the taste of strawberry cake. Young birches swaying at the doorpost, air filled with the natural fragnance of meadow flowers. 


As we just celebrated magical Midsummer here up in the great North, I thought I would write this blog post for all of you who haven't experienced Nordic Midsummer yet, or those of you who just can't get enough of it. Psst, look, I'll fill you in on a little secret: there is a place in Helsinki where you'll find eternal Midsummer. How dreamy isn't that?

Koska juhlimme juuri keskikesän juhlaa, ajattelin kirjoittaa tämän blogikirjoituksen kertoakseni helsinkiläisestä salaisuudesta. Vaikka tämän vuoden juhannus on nyt valitettavasti ohitse, Helsingissä on mahdollista kokea juhannus vuoden jokaisena päivänä. Miten tämä on mahdollista?

I belong to the later part - I just can't get enough of misterious Midsummer! If you've never heard about our Midsummer celebrations before, have a good read here with my earlier blog posts about the topic. Why can't I get enough of this festivity? Well, simply because I believe that we all need a little bit of Midsummer magic in our lives. Like always, when it comes to the best of things, it's difficult to describe Midsummer with words. But it's elements are for sure wild nature and midnight sun. When one spends most of the time outdoors in the midst of nature and the sun doesn't set, well, that is when magical things happen if you ask me. One could almost say that we find our inner wild self, someone we easily lose when we forget our connection to nature.

Kuulun myös niihin, jotka eivät saa tarpeekseen juhannusjuhlasta. Miksi näin? Koska uskon, että jokainen meistä tarvitsee vähän juhannustaikaa elämäänsä. Juuri kuten yleensä parhaiden asioiden kanssa on, niin myös juhannus on vaikea ilmiönä selittää sanoilla. Mutta juhannus liittyy vahvasti keskiyön aurinkoon ja villiin luontoon. Luulen, että kun ihminen viettää suurimman osan ajastaan ulkona luonnon keskellä ja aurinko ei laske, niin taianomaisia asioita alkaa tapahtumaan. Voisi jopa sanoa, että löydämme taas yhteydemme luontoon - joka niin helposti unohtuu arjen keskellä.

I'm sure by now you're wondering where is this place with eternal Midsummer? Actually, it couldn't be more centrally located in Helsinki than it is, because it lies right in the heart of the commercial district of Kamppi. One of the most legendary hotels in town, Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, has collaborated with no other than one of my favorite Finnish designers, Paola Suhonen herself, who's known for her Ivana Helsinki empire (read my earlier blog posts about the brand here).

Ihmettelet jo varmaan, että missä loputon juhannus muka sijaitsee Helsingissä. Oikeastaan se ei voisi olla keskeisemmällä paikalla, koska se löytyy Kampista. Ikoninen hotelli Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti on nimittäin tehnyt yhteistyötä Ivana Helsingin Paola Suhosen kanssa ja luonut kokonaisen juhannushuonekerroksen! 

I belong to the somewhat crazy people that actually enjoy trying out hotels in her own home city. So I can tell you that I have slept in this particular hotel before, some years ago. The change is uncanny - even though the hotel's shelf might look the same, the inside is completely different. I highly recommend that you give it a try! This huge hotel of almost 500 rooms will be totally transformed by fall 2018 (right now about half of the hotel rooms have been modernised). I think it's unique because it's a giant hotel, but thanks to Suhonen, it feels homey with five different themes (Midsummer, winter storms, peace and quiet, enchanted forest and Finnish sisu "guts"). It's like a enourmous boutique hotel as each room tells a story - I've never seen a hotel of this size managing to do so. I'll tell you about the rest of the room types in upcoming blog posts, but in this post, I'll focus on my favorite room type - the outstanding Midsummer room.

Kerroin, että kuulun niihin, jotka eivät saa tarpeekseen juhannuksesta, mutta voisin lisätä, että kuulun myös niihin Helsinki -hulluihin, jotka tykkäävät majoittua hotelliin omassa kotikaupungissaan. Näin ollen olen yöpynyt myös kyseisessä hotellissa pari vuotta sitten. Mielestäni tuore muutos on huikea - vaikka hotelli näyttää samanlaiselta ulkopuolelta, niin sisäpuoli on täysin erilainen. Suosittelen lämmöllä majoitusta! Isokokoinen hotelli (melkein 500 huonetta omaava) tulee olemaan kokonaisuudessaan uusittu ensi vuoden elokuussa (tällä hetkellä noin puolet huoneista on uusittu). Mielestäni on ainutlaatuista, että näin jättimäinen hotelli voi tuntua kotoisalta kiitos viiden teeman (juhannus, talvimyrsky, hiljaisuus, satumetsä ja sisu). Nyt hotelli vaikuttaa valtaisalta boutique -hotellilta, jossa kaikilla huoneilla on tarina - en ole koskaan aikaisemmin nähnyt näin isoa vastaavanlaista toteutusta. Kerron muista huonetyypeistä tulevissa blogikirjoituksissa, mutta tässä halusin keskittyä suosikkityyppiini - upeaan juhannushuoneeseen.

Once you step into the room, you'll immediately know why it's my favorite! It's like stepping into Finnish nature. I think Suhonen has done an amazing job creating a wallpaper out of photographs of real wild flowers! The flowers also appear on the most beautiful table I've seen in my life, and even on the shower doors! It doesn't get much better than that! Well, actually, just as a hint, in the reception shop, you can buy your own reasonably priced Midsummer print bed linen and toilet bags. I've even seen Midsummer print dresses around - those together are just a Midsummer Night's Dream!

Kun astut huoneeseen, niin huomaat heti miksi se on suosikkini! Tuntuu, kun astuisi suoraan luonnon helmaan. Mielestäni Suhonen on tehnyt loistavan työn luodessaan valokuvatapeetin villikukista! Kukat löytyvät myös todella kauniista pöydästä ja jopa suihkuovista! Parempaa saa etsiä! No, oikeastaan, vinkkinä voin kertoa, että vastaanoton yhteydessä olevasta kaupasta voi ostaa kohtuuhintaisia juhannusprinttilakanoita ja -meikkilaukkuja / -nesessäärejä. Olen jopa nähnyt mekkoja juhannusprintillä - kaikki nämä yhdessä muodostavat todellisen kesäyön unelman!


What makes the perfect Midsummer / hotel room in your opinion? What is your relationship to nature?

Mikä sinun mielestäsi tekee täydellisen juhannuksen / hotellihuoneen? Minkälainen on luontosuhteesi?

 


What's your opinion?

  1. I needed to be off for some weeks, but I am returning little by little to blog activities today :) I liked the photos of the hotel with the Midsummer feel! Lovely table and wallpaper, I really like it! Well, I don't know whether crazy, but it feels good to test such a nice hotel! I would love to try it too!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a good time off! Welcome back! Well, I think only someone who really loves her city would stay in hotels there :)

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  2. I rarely ever stay in hotels. I usually try to find something affordable and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can get good deals with hotels as well, especially off-season :)

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  3. I love the wallpaper and the bathroom and the table and actually everything! it's beautiful! would definitely stay there if I could :) luckily we do have a plan to visit an exclusive boutique hotel/manor here in Estonia already next month so when everything goes according to plan I will definitely share it in my blog :)

    Maiken - Part of me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear that you like this hotel room as well :) I can't wait to see photos of that hotel/manor in Estonia!

      xxx
      E

      Delete

@elisabeth.rundlof