Vanhankaupunginlahti Bay: Lammassaari duckboards

Helsinki, 26 degrees


In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.


Helsinki has been treating me so well during my 3½-week-long holiday! The weather conditions honestly couldn't have been better! Now with only half a week left, I'm so happy because I have managed to visit all the places that I had listed before my holiday as holiday must-visits. I'll write another blog post with my holiday hints for Helsinki. In this post, I wanted to present one of those magical places I visited with my toddler girl: Vanhankaupunginlahti Bay. It's Helsinki’s largest nature reserve, covering an area of 326 hectares! Its location in the middle of the city with easy accessibility via public transport, and diversity of flora and fauna (including an abundance of bird species), make it a real jewel among urban nature destinations!

Helsinki on kyllä hemmotellut minua 3½-viikkoisen lomani aikana! Sää ei olisi voinut olla parempi! Nyt kun minulla on jäljellä enää pari lomapäivää, niin voin olla onnellinen koska olen ehtinyt käydä kaikissa niissä paikoissa, joita olin listannut itselleni koettavaksi ennen lomaa. Kirjoitan vielä erillisen blogikirjoituksen lomavinkeistäni. Tässä blogikirjoituksessa halusin kuitenkin esitellä yhden maagisen paikan, jossa kävin taaperoni kanssa: Vanhankaupunginlahden. Viikki-Vanhankaupunginlahti on Helsingin suurin luonnonsuojelualue, kooltaan 326 hehtaaria! Vanhankaupunginlahden sijainti keskellä pääkaupunkia, sen helppo saavutettavuus joukkoliikennevälineillä sekä luonnon monipuolisuus (etenkin lintulajien runsaus), tekevät alueesta helmen kaupunkiluontokohteiden joukossa!

Over 300 different species of birds have been sighted in Vanhankaupunginlahti over the years. I have to say that we heard bird song the entire time we spent here - enchanting! It almost felt like we would have been in the midst of a rain forest or something similar, that is how strong and vivid the song was! The coastal forests house lesser spotted woodpeckers and thrush nightingales, while the reed beds are home to citrine wagtails, sedge warblers, Eurasian reed warblers and the largest population of bearded reedlings in Finland.

Kautta aikojen Vanhankaupunginlahdella on havaittu yli 300 lintulajia. Minun on pakko lisätä, että kuulimme linnunlaulua koko vierailun ajan - lumoavaa! Tuntui melkein siltä, kun olisimme olleet keskellä sademetsää, niin voimakkaita äänet olivat! Rantametsissä elelee pikkutikka ja satakieli, ja ruovikoilla sitruunavästäräkki, ruoko- ja rytikerttunen sekä maamme suurin viiksitimalikeskittymä.

In my opinion, the best part of the nature reserve are the duckboards leading to Lammassaari Island that were converted into an accessible path in 2017 as part of a project funded by the EU. You can see more photos of the duckboards on my Instagram account. I highly recommend a visit here to everyone in Helsinki! Note, however, that the accessible path with obseveration points (as shown in these photos) only takes you to Lammassaari Island, it doesn't continue on the actual island itself. When I visited with my girl, she ran along the duckboards, but also sometimes sat in her stroller. We had to leave the stroller on Lammassaari Island as the ground there was so uneven, and I carried her in my arms to Kuusiluoto Islet because the duckboards leading there are so narrow (not accessible!). We enjoyed our lunch picnic on the beautiful islet's cliffs. There are some sheep on Kuusiluoto Islet that you might see while visiting, we, however, only saw them from far. I wore one of my favorite outfits this summer: my crochet dress!

Omasta mielestäni luonnonsuojelualueen paras osa ovat Lammassaareen johtavat pitkospuut, jotka muutettiin esteettömäksi reitiksi vuonna 2017 osana EU-rahoitteista hanketta. Näet enemmän kuvia pitkospuista Instagram -tililläni. Suosittelen pitkospuuvierailua ihan jokaiselle, joka on tai käy Helsingissä! Huom! Esteetön reitti näköalapaikkoineen (esimerkki näköalapaikoista näet tässä blogikirjoituksessa) soveltuu hyvin rattaille, mutta se päättyy Lammassaareen. Itse saaressa on epätasainen maasto, joten jouduin jättämään tyttäreni rattaat saarelle. Kannoin tyttäreni sylissä Kuusiluodolle, koska sinne menevät pitkospuut ovat hyvin kapeat (rattaat eivät olisi niiden päälle mahtuneet) ja ne pelottivat tyttöäni. Söimme lounaan Kuusiluodon upeilla kallioilla. Kuusiluodolla on joitakin lampaita vapaina, mutta me näimme ne vain kaukaa. Minulla oli päällä yksi tämän kesän suosikkiasuistani: virkattu mekko!

straw hat H&M crochet dress CHICWISH sandals MARENAS earrings LILLAN HELSINKI sunglasses AARNI

What is your relationship to nature reserves? How often do you visit one? Do you have any favorites?

Mikä on suhteesi luonnonsuojelualueisiin? Miten usein vierailet sellaisessa? Onko sinulla suosikkia? 

 

What's your opinion?

  1. Ohh, I'll have to go there when I'm back in Helsinki, seems a beautiful place! I love Finland, actually I'm learning Finnish language (it's my 3rd year) and reading your post also in Finnish is very helpful ^^ Also, I love the dress you were wearing, so cute!
    Greetings from Spain :)
    xx

    Freak Muffin Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! <3 Happy to help with the Finnish language. Thank you for your kind comment!

      xxx
      E

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a gorgeous place! No wonder you look so happy to be there. Such an incredible way to enjoy nature!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

@elisabeth.rundlof